Brexit

Guest Unregistered

I just saw an interview with Mike Rowe on Dave Rubin. He was talking about London during the blitz bombing in 1939. The Germans were bombing daily. So everyone hid in bomb shelters. After a week they were all still in shelter. But after 3wks they were out doing business, shopping, the kids were in school. He said they got bored of being terrified. And that's why they went out. He said beginning to venture out on times of risk will always seem premature. But we adapt to levels of risk. We all know driving a car could result in death but we have built in the risk into our lives.

With Brexit or Covid, at some point, it cant be safety first. Rowe says if you want to really accomplish things, safety comes about 3rd.

• Like 2
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simple simon

• Foxx

• gbusrt

• Peter

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This time the silent people were heard.   From what Labour candidates are saying on TV interviews today, (especially the candidates who lost their seats in Parliament last Thursday) It is be

To our UK members:                 

more tweets..                                          

2 hours ago, Greenmeadow said:

I just saw an interview with Mike Rowe on Dave Rubin. He was talking about London during the blitz bombing in 1939. The Germans were bombing daily. So everyone hid in bomb shelters. After a week they were all still in shelter. But after 3wks they were out doing business, shopping, the kids were in school. He said they got bored of being terrified. And that's why they went out. He said beginning to venture out on times of risk will always seem premature. But we adapt to levels of risk. We all know driving a car could result in death but we have built in the risk into our lives.

With Brexit or Covid, at some point, it cant be safety first. Rowe says if you want to really accomplish things, safety comes about 3rd.

There is a lady who I've known for 30+ years, she is a widow and lives alone so and until the lockdown I used to visit for a few hours every fortnight. She was an older teenager during the war, did not evacuate but instead worked during the day and went to evening classes to further her studies.

What really frightened her was spiders in the emergency air raid shelters! Even today she dislikes them.

I am hoping to start visiting her again, later this year. She is partially deaf but we still manage to have a conversation. 

My parents were evacuated, my mother was sent to boarding school which over the years was located in various large country houses near small towns away from large cities.

She still recalls having to flee burning buildings as the Germans switched from bombing London to provincial towns and cities which had important docks or were in other ways important - the aim being to try and destroy our manufacturing capability plus the morale of the British people.

What the people of that era went through.... I question if the youngsters of today are as emotionally strong as the people were back then.

Edited by simple simon
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

This is an advert but it says much without even following the link

According to SamJam things happening this way will be the cause of economic depression

• 4 months later...
35 minutes ago, McDavid said:

Brexit was such a big story at the time. Has anything materially changed in the UK?

its too soon, the actual day for material changes will be 1st January 2021 and from what I saw ion Twitter today a trading deal might yet be signed

• 1 month later...

Marti, its big news here but I've not been following it

the agreement has to be ratified - the EU are likely to do this next year, I am not sure but think this will be done in the UK next week, probably via teleconferencing as the virus situation* here in the UK is most severe in London and there is a desire to avoid having politicians travel from around the UK to London

*I wish the medical system would even trial the Dr Zelenko protocol, but alas it does not seem to want to do this

Edited by simple simon

not good - not at all...

New rules for businesses which export to the UK, even small businesses. This tweet is from a bicycle shop but the rules apply to everyone, everywhere, although how they will be enforced (or shops that do not comply prosecuted - will overseas courts apply UK regulations?) remains to be seen!

A few tweets about Boris Johnson from the Twitter label 'Britain Trump' 

Edited by simple simon

Brexit red tape problems...

Why Percy Pig in Ireland could become a victim of Brexit red tape

Percy Pig could become an unwitting victim of fallout from the post-Brexit trade deal red tape.

Marks & Spencer boss Steve Rowe has warned that, despite the UK signing a free trade agreement with the EU, new rules and regulations are set to “significantly impact” its overseas ventures in Ireland, the Czech Republic and France, although he insisted the company is “actively working to mitigate” the issues.

Mr Rowe explained that the problem stems from “point of origin” rules, which he said create huge complexities.

He said: “Essentially, there is about a third of the product in our food business that is subject to very complex rules of origin arrangements, around the components within it, and how much has been altered in the UK.

“Depending on that there is a variable tariff. Any product that’s manufactured in Europe, comes to the UK and is then redistributed to somewhere like Republic of Ireland also, potentially faces a tariff.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-08/how-percy-pig-in-ireland-could-become-a-victim-of-brexit-red-tape

This is insanity - the problem is new red tape rules which need sorting out, the insanity is what the British Govt bod says about the issue

15 hours ago, simple simon said:

This is insanity - the problem is new red tape rules which need sorting out, the insanity is what the British Govt bod says about the issue

British people:

Eat More Fish!

How difficult would it be for the UK government to ask the British people to eat more fish and chips?  That idea sells itself.

I am certain that if the Prime Minister requested the British people to unite by eating more fish and chips, the British people would rise to the challenge. And, the overall British happiness level would increase, and the fish glut would be eliminated.

Fish and Chip Van Catering UK - Fish and Chip Vans Staffordshire

Edited by Buzzard
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use, Privacy Policy