Brexit

Guest Unregistered

9 minutes ago, simple simon said:

btw, there are two threads about Brexit...

This one with the tan background is public, anyone can see it.  The other is for members onlyl.

I need the Zep
6 hours ago, simple simon said:

If the EU wants even some of the 39 billion Euros that it says the UK owes it, then it had better come to an amicable deal. 

Otherwise the EU itself will be dire financial trouble.

Not sure why we have to pay to leave?

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Designed so you won't want to.

Absolutely. Just another  erroneous "data point" to move opinion the other way. Economic disincentive. Carrot and STICK.

simple simon
8 hours ago, i need the Zep said:

Not sure why we have to pay to leave?

It might be that we are actually contractually required to make some of these payments, so in this case doing so could be included as part of the Brexit settlement.

Also, if it helped sweeten a deal in a way that is more favourable to the UK then making a one-off final contribution could be of long-term benefit to us in the UK too. I am thinking along the lines of a free trade deal, since its pretty obvious that staying inside tjhe single-market would make us a rule taker without being able to influence the rules, and this (to me) would be unacceptable.

But especially for large multi-site industries (eg: airbus) I would want to agree full freedom of movement of goods between their factories in the UK and elsewhere (as already exists). For this I would even be prepared to agree special terms based on grandfather rights, albeit only as as long as the UK factories remain open. I would do this to protect UK jobs - both within those factories and further up the supply chain. 

In addition, I would want existing data sharing within academia, (eg: scientists working of space projects) to continue, and for these we would still be contributing our fair-share towards any expenses.

Nothing for nothing... once we are out then the EU will have lost of one its few net contributor nations.

simple simon
4 hours ago, Foxx said:

At least there is this bit of good news today.

Second Brexit referendum rejected by British lawmakers

yes but now there will be an attempt to delay our leaving.

This tweet alarms me...

If I had influence I would put a 12 month time limit on May's withdrawal agreement so that business has more time to prepare and certainty over the future and then start talking about the long-term Brexit agreement, safe in the knowledge that we will be fully out in 2020. 

I accept that the politicians told us 2019, but they messed up and I would rather leave in an amicable way - not just go, leaving people to flounder.

The EU will want the UK out before the next EU elections, otherwise the UK will have a big vote in things going forward in the EU. 

Also, the delay still hasn't been accepted, it needs a 100% vote from the EU countries.  Any one country can veto the delay and force the 29 March exit.

simple simon
1 hour ago, jdurand said:

The EU will want the UK out before the next EU elections, otherwise the UK will have a big vote in things going forward in the EU. 

Also, the delay still hasn't been accepted, it needs a 100% vote from the EU countries.  Any one country can veto the delay and force the 29 March exit.

That is so, yes. Whilst I would rather not be eligible for the next EU Parliament vote (because the UK is no longer a member) I can also see a possibility of us now being asked to vote. I wonder how many candidates UKIP will field? 

These tweets come from a TV programme broadcast this evening. 

Edited by simple simon

simple simon

at about 4:13 starts explaining why Brexit has 'fat chance' of happening, with much dithering and people saying one things but doing something else, plus a constitutional crises ... its messy!

March is just the wrong month for such things!

a resolution of sorts in second week April 

(am putting this here because of the direct reference to Brexit)

simple simon

The clock tower at the UK Houses of Parliament is being refurbished. Today I received a tweet saying that the works have been completed - and it included a photo. Hmm...

Edited by simple simon

simple simon

some tweets... this first one is s short film - either for your enjoyment or as a target when throwing darts (instead of a dartboard)  

I replied to Robert...

Its very good Robert

I can't help wondering .. if the Saintly lady had asked MP's to choose scenarios and then 'indicative vote' on them two years ago ... would we be in this mess 'today?'

Or would we all be praising her for a deal that best met the result of the referendum?

Edited by simple simon

simple simon

A few more...

the first one strengthens my desire to leave (I retweeted this and the link I used was to my retweet, yet twitter shows both the original and retweet) 

The second one makes me feel proud to be British!

For the third tweet I added a full version of the image: erm, if people want to live like that then I will respect their 'free will' choice, but I'd rather retain my technological toys, including electrickery. 

D255DCaWwAAs8VN.jpg:large

Edited by simple simon

35 minutes ago, Foxx said:

May is the best weapon for the remainers, she was labour (democrat) but lost her seat and become tory (republican) to stay in gov

Italian guy Mussolini was a leftest who swung right once in power and May was/is a leftist hummm

She has said she will not step down as Prime minister until the UK leaves and is doing everything to make sure we don't leave. dictator ?

i think she is a  Psycho and is fast burning through all the dirt in the political pool to try get her way, the next elections should be interesting

Edited by gbusrt

simple simon

Today I received an email on the topic of Brexit from the lobby group 38 degrees.

There were groups of statements followed by large buttons to show if I (or do not) support their campaigning on those topics

I quote below...

Meat pumped full of hormones on our supermarket shelves. [1] The NHS forced to pay more for medicine we rely on. [2] British farmers getting priced out of business. [3] This could be the reality of a bad Brexit that leaves Britain reliant on trade deals with the likes of Donald Trump.

Politicians are trying to break through the deadlock. [4] One option on the table is a closer trade relationship with the EU, through joining a 'customs union' or the 'single market'. It could help protect our NHS, our farmers and the food on our plates. [5]

We could throw our weight behind this, and push for a Brexit outcome that protects the things we care about. But we’ll only do it if enough of us are up for it.

A bad Brexit deal, or crashing out of the EU with no deal, could mean we’re left desperately scrabbling around for trade deals with Donald Trump. He’s already made it clear that he has his eyes on our NHS and wants to slash our food standards. [6]

Having a close relationship with the EU through a 'customs union' or the 'single market' are some Brexit options that could help prevent this from happening. It could mean laws protecting the quality of our food would stay the same, British farmers would be protected from foreign competition and our NHS wouldn’t be put up for negotiation. [7]

The problem for me is that whilst (like them) I want a deal that prevents the scenarios they describe, I do not support their version of that trade deal - as they are pro-Remain and (as as a side issue) virulently anti-Trump.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As this is a public page it is possible that some people reading this are unable to see what I said on a thread that is only accessible to logged-in members.

To everyone else, I apologise for the duplication.

I am not in favour of a no-deal Brexit.

I very much want a deal that benefits everyone - just not the deal that our PM wants (its far too biased in favour of the EU). This would include:

free trade that benefits both sides, a generous degree of freedom of movement (capped to prevent immigrants taking all the jobs and driving down wages), the ability to make trade deals with other countries outside of the EU, still part of cultural, scientific, ecological (etc.,) projects - which of course includes us making fair financial contributions, zero EU political interference, no involvement in EU army, nor in Customs Union, nor common agricultural policy...

Edited by simple simon