Guest Unregistered

Brexit

Greenmeadow

I just saw an interview with Mike Rowe on Dave Rubin. He was talking about London during the blitz bombing in 1939. The Germans were bombing daily. So everyone hid in bomb shelters. After a week they were all still in shelter. But after 3wks they were out doing business, shopping, the kids were in school. He said they got bored of being terrified. And that's why they went out. He said beginning to venture out on times of risk will always seem premature. But we adapt to levels of risk. We all know driving a car could result in death but we have built in the risk into our lives.

With Brexit or Covid, at some point, it cant be safety first. Rowe says if you want to really accomplish things, safety comes about 3rd.

simple simon
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Greenmeadow said:

I just saw an interview with Mike Rowe on Dave Rubin. He was talking about London during the blitz bombing in 1939. The Germans were bombing daily. So everyone hid in bomb shelters. After a week they were all still in shelter. But after 3wks they were out doing business, shopping, the kids were in school. He said they got bored of being terrified. And that's why they went out. He said beginning to venture out on times of risk will always seem premature. But we adapt to levels of risk. We all know driving a car could result in death but we have built in the risk into our lives.

With Brexit or Covid, at some point, it cant be safety first. Rowe says if you want to really accomplish things, safety comes about 3rd.

There is a lady who I've known for 30+ years, she is a widow and lives alone so and until the lockdown I used to visit for a few hours every fortnight. She was an older teenager during the war, did not evacuate but instead worked during the day and went to evening classes to further her studies.

What really frightened her was spiders in the emergency air raid shelters! Even today she dislikes them.

I am hoping to start visiting her again, later this year. She is partially deaf but we still manage to have a conversation. 

My parents were evacuated, my mother was sent to boarding school which over the years was located in various large country houses near small towns away from large cities.

She still recalls having to flee burning buildings as the Germans switched from bombing London to provincial towns and cities which had important docks or were in other ways important - the aim being to try and destroy our manufacturing capability plus the morale of the British people.

What the people of that era went through.... I question if the youngsters of today are as emotionally strong as the people were back then.

Edited by simple simon

simple simon

This is an advert but it says much without even following the link

According to SamJam things happening this way will be the cause of economic depression

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use