Guest Unregistered

Brexit

jdurand
9 minutes ago, simple simon said:

btw, there are two threads about Brexit...

This one with the tan background is public, anyone can see it.  The other is for members onlyl.

i need the Zep
6 hours ago, simple simon said:

If the EU wants even some of the 39 billion Euros that it says the UK owes it, then it had better come to an amicable deal. 

Otherwise the EU itself will be dire financial trouble.

Not sure why we have to pay to leave?

Foxx
3 hours ago, i need the Zep said:

Designed so you won't want to.

Peter
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Designed so you won't want to.

Absolutely. Just another  erroneous "data point" to move opinion the other way. Economic disincentive. Carrot and STICK.

simple simon
8 hours ago, i need the Zep said:

It might be that we are actually contractually required to make some of these payments, so in this case doing so could be included as part of the Brexit settlement.

Also, if it helped sweeten a deal in a way that is more favourable to the UK then making a one-off final contribution could be of long-term benefit to us in the UK too. I am thinking along the lines of a free trade deal, since its pretty obvious that staying inside tjhe single-market would make us a rule taker without being able to influence the rules, and this (to me) would be unacceptable.

But especially for large multi-site industries (eg: airbus) I would want to agree full freedom of movement of goods between their factories in the UK and elsewhere (as already exists). For this I would even be prepared to agree special terms based on grandfather rights, albeit only as as long as the UK factories remain open. I would do this to protect UK jobs - both within those factories and further up the supply chain. 

In addition, I would want existing data sharing within academia, (eg: scientists working of space projects) to continue, and for these we would still be contributing our fair-share towards any expenses.

Nothing for nothing... once we are out then the EU will have lost of one its few net contributor nations.

simple simon
4 hours ago, Foxx said:

At least there is this bit of good news today.

Second Brexit referendum rejected by British lawmakers

yes but now there will be an attempt to delay our leaving.

This tweet alarms me...

If I had influence I would put a 12 month time limit on May's withdrawal agreement so that business has more time to prepare and certainty over the future and then start talking about the long-term Brexit agreement, safe in the knowledge that we will be fully out in 2020. 

I accept that the politicians told us 2019, but they messed up and I would rather leave in an amicable way - not just go, leaving people to flounder.

jdurand

The EU will want the UK out before the next EU elections, otherwise the UK will have a big vote in things going forward in the EU. 

Also, the delay still hasn't been accepted, it needs a 100% vote from the EU countries.  Any one country can veto the delay and force the 29 March exit.

simple simon
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jdurand said:

The EU will want the UK out before the next EU elections, otherwise the UK will have a big vote in things going forward in the EU. 

Also, the delay still hasn't been accepted, it needs a 100% vote from the EU countries.  Any one country can veto the delay and force the 29 March exit.

That is so, yes. Whilst I would rather not be eligible for the next EU Parliament vote (because the UK is no longer a member) I can also see a possibility of us now being asked to vote. I wonder how many candidates UKIP will field? 

These tweets come from a TV programme broadcast this evening. 

Edited by simple simon

simple simon

at about 4:13 starts explaining why Brexit has 'fat chance' of happening, with much dithering and people saying one things but doing something else, plus a constitutional crises ... its messy!

March is just the wrong month for such things!

a resolution of sorts in second week April 

(am putting this here because of the direct reference to Brexit)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use