Neo

Introductions: Introduce yourself here

Marti
Hello,

Want to play a game? Okay. I'm still hanging around. CPM, 8088, 64K, 110 baud. We were thrilled with 10MB hard drives. Ancient, but been around the circuits with Captain Crunch. Clif's work is heavily needed these days to understand how mankind has changed with the times and technologies. Stay engaged, stay aware, stay safe.

Imsai

Welcome, Imsai! I guess I started in computers before you. I was thrilled to add a second 8" floppy drive to my IBM PC that only had one 8" floppy drive to start with - NO hard drive! And the first computers my company manufactured only had 64K memory. Think they used 8088 but not sure.

Thanks for the laugh and the memories! Enjoy yourself.

ChiliCheeseFries
My first computer that I owned was a Motorola MEK-1 featuring the 6800 processor. My roommate had an Intel 4004 complete with a wooden chassis.

Many years passed and I eventually got online, used a HeathKit serial line printer hacked so I could access the UART lines. This was wired to a keyboard without a housing that had been taken from a data processing terminal. It didn't have an ENTER key but that's what ctrl-M is for, right? That was hooked to a Penny Whistle modem I'd built and I dialed into Compu$erve to explore the world.

Ah, the good old days when computers could play tic-tac-to and NOBODY was tapping in.

I still have some of my old programs laying around on a variety of media, paper tape, Kansas City Standard, Hollerith cards, and 9-track tape. I used to have a paper tape reader in the attic but gave it away.

So, JD, tells again what it was like to have a dinosaur as a pet.

jdurand

I guess I wrote my first program in 1972, back then it was on the school's Wang desktop systems that took a single punch card in what looked like a toaster. Then in 1973 I graduated to the WANG 720B which had a keyboard! I and a couple of other guys wrote a Moon Lander game that used the exact characteristics of the lunar lander and I wrote a computer dating program that could hold up to 100 "boys" and 100 "girls", matching them up on something like a dozen questions. The computer club made money off that one!

So, my first money-making program was 1973

ChiliCheeseFries
So, JD, tells again what it was like to have a dinosaur as a pet.

That's what the young ones around here like to ask me every now and then (lol).

wrathfuldeity

Hey All,

Figured might as well jump in the stew pot and see what’s cook’n. I’m a midwest farm transplant to PNW. Grew up during the dazed and confused 70’s with the likes of dreaded psychonutz float’n around in tanks, making rainbows, brain sparks and wondering about harmonic convergences and when cali would slip…kind of went the opposite way of the dos platform. It seems like these times are the ones to arrive in and see what happens. Clif’s bots seem like digital tea leafs and certainly enjoy his banter and musing. However, being a meatspace luddite; digital just aggravates moi. Generally only venture so far as my old flip phone…and only when I want to turn it on and call me somebody….which ain’t often. Meanwhile, enjoying the expanding multi-dimensional frequency shift. I prefer to navigate via serendipitous adventures using taoist means. In my real life, I’m a home plate umpire for disputed states of delusions. Thus hanging out with gnarfaires, risk managers, ogres, attorneys, wookies, royalty, fascist, saints and corporatist. So this place looks to be a reprieve from my usual insanity.

wrath

ChiliCheeseFries

We welcome all refugees from the morass of madness that is the planet we live on. We have all sorts here, so you should find your peeps in the midst. Please contribute to the threads as you wish. Everyone's sharing is appreciated.

Oh, and we address Cliff as "his HIGH-ness" here, just to let you know. :-)

Imsai

Yes and yes and forever yes. Bubble memory was too awesome. NASA invested heavily in a small, believe it or not, steel laptop computer that had quad bubble memory. It never forgot anything. No drives of any kind needed. Even if you turned off the power, it retained everything. Still using one as a door stop in my house. Weighs about 14 lbs. Those 4K Sinclair computers that you could hook up to your tv for $129 were cool. A lot of coders started out with them. Punch tape was neat. We used to cut them, splice other tapes into them using scotch tape. Probably the first version of "cut and paste". It's interesting how the technology did not follow the hardware progression, but the entertainment coding instead. Now you know why your current stuff doesn't perform as well as it should. Granted, you got power, you got speed, you got graphics, but raw computer technology is lacking. Very few computers left that do. Imagine compiling code with only a 64K Kaypro computer. The IMSAI was cool, because you could wire wrap your own bare boards and creat havoc in the universe. They also cost more than your car to build one out, but, hey, your car was stupid and your Imsai took you places your car couldn't. Most hardware guys were broke all the time, but were racing around the ARPANET and other circuits, learning about the world. We are true dinosaurs today. But, we still creat stuff you can't even imagine. Nice to meet an "old school" person in this crazy, throw away world.

Edited by Imsai

Imsai

Thought you guys went out with the "tree huggers". You mean you're still around, defying the laws of convention and generally wreaking havoc on the algorithms? That's way too cool. Carry on, and charge into the wind. Love it when the algorithms freeze up and puke all over some script kiddy's screen. It'll take the poor kid 4 days and 32 Starbucks to unravel it, only to throw it away and "borrow" some more code to put his cute graphics on, so his boss or supervisor will think he's a genius. Welcome to modern day coding and mindset.

Imsai

The IBM 5100 Series was a steel wrapped 8086 computer. Which also made them very secure since no one nearby could snag your internal signals. Many variations were made depending on the purpose and clients. I still use 2 of them, the 5158 Series with Windows 98 Pro. They just don't die. Lots of board slots for everything. They feature a "quick board connect/disconnect". No plates or screws to mess with. Made a techs job easy. Board install or replacement was under 2 minutes. The top opens by pushing a button on each side and top rotates back like a clam shell. Never have to remove it. Primarily they were good at communications and intensive computations. And you can stack massive amounts of outboard drives with them. CPU overload was nearly impossible. But, alas, lacked the really tight graphics an average user would want for copying recipes or playing video games. Years ago, many were being sold for $200-300, but I've seen them going for $100 these days. The original clients paid $1,000's for them. Want a real computer to have fun with? The IBM 5100 Series is a true hardware and coder's dream. Let alone, just fun to have and run.

Edited by Imsai

Foxx
... The first thing to remember about Clif's work is he picks up mainly future headlines. ...

... There's also the issue of this being linguistics based, meaning that once we see the headlines, the prediction is fulfilled, whether or not the situation "matures" as expected. ...

As is probably expected, I have an issue with "headlines" fulfilling bot prophesy. I don't think that is what many of us are looking for, I would venture that we are looking for boots on the ground events that actually manifest and effect the materialistic world around us.

One of the many problems (and i have many with this logic) with a "headline" being all it takes to fulfill a bot prognostication, is that it can be a self circuitous loop. For example... lets say that some fledgling, obscure website is looking to make a way for itself. They see an opportunity to drive readers their way by taking some ongoing storyline and twisting it into something entirely different with an extravagant headline that is taken directly out of the reports. Whala, you have an instant bot hit because some obscure website printed a headline.

If you have an ounce of objectivity, you just know that this has happened and continues to happen on a regular basis. The question then becomes one of what is real and what is self imagined. Myself, as I do reside in the materialistic world, I tend to not like being manipulated. As such, to me, the only real way to evaluate the linguistics forecasting record is by what manifests within the meatspace. By this measure, it would be my opinion that the Bots get more right than they ought otherwise should be able to. To me, trying to force feed "headline" hits into square holes is doing oneself a disservice. Note them, sure. Can they be a signal of trends that are going on and/or coming down the pike at us, sure. One would also be doing themselves a disservice if they dismissed them altogether. However, unless they lend to real events manifesting, they are nothing more than manipulation trying to take advantage of you in some way.

Edited by Foxx

jdurand

You may note that Clif's latest hit turned out to be an April Fool's story ("women and gold"). I count that as a headline, others may count it differently.

ThePumpkin

Hi everyone!

I have been following clif for a few months on YouTube and have just read March and April Alta reports. I have been a part of the awakening community for at least the past 7 years, but I never really got involved a single community until now. This one seems like a nice group of folks, though! I'm a millennial mom, homeschooling my kids due to vaccination discrimination (among other reasons), former investment analyst turned yoga instructor with a degree in economics, and am training to be a natural childbirth educator.

I am pretty concerned (read-anxiety disorder!) about upcoming earthquakes, as I live in Southern California and have a very young family. I am trying to figure out how to best prepare my family to weather the coming ice age, and I want to move somewhere more stable, but I don't quite know where to go. I am thinking Hawaii or Arizona, but realize that nowhere is totally perfect. I guess I need to find a thread about this topic somewhere or start my own!

jdurand

Welcome!

I'll leave the 'quake answers to other people, here we only had the 7.1 'quake a while back so haven't had to deal with any big ones.

ChiliCheeseFries

Last year Clif was seeing mid-2017, but that will probably be moved further out by a number of months. EQ not to happen in expected places. We should see data on this buldge into Short Term and then IMmediacy data as we get closer, with more details to give hints.

ThePumpkin
Last year Clif was seeing mid-2017, but that will probably be moved further out by a number of months. EQ not to happen in expected places. We should see data on this buldge into Short Term and then IMmediacy data as we get closer, with more details to give hints.

I am definitely looking forward to the coming Alta reports! I guess I should budget it into my monthly spreadsheet!

bbbot

Hello all, been buying the Alta reports since about 2011, first time here, looking forward to reading other views on the data interpretations ;)

ChiliCheeseFries

Welcome, bbbot. Rowdy bunch of armadillos here. Keep an eye on em', they'll sneak up on ya.

bbbot

Thanks for the welcome.... not to worry, I belong to another private forum where we have a running dedicated thread just to discuss the web bot/wujos/Alta hits ect.... It's where I was first exposed to it years ago.... to intriguing not to get sucked in.

Guest Unregistered
And an aardvark or two. ;)

Gawd help us if any platypuses show up later. What a mess they make! Party Animals like no other.

ChiliCheeseFries
Gawd help us if any platypuses show up later. What a mess they make! Party Animals like no other.

Sorry, That was me, CCF. I forgot to login (lol).

Pneumo
Sorry, That was me, CCF. I forgot to login (lol).

Dang ! There you are in the US of A and you know more about the social habits of our favourite amphibious monotreme than I do.

I think I've got some unaddressed issues......

Edited by Pneumo
Wrong genus...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use