Neo

Introductions: Introduce yourself here

Hang In

Got the 40 mm by 20 mm magnets. Hmmm, for now I will 'stick' with the smaller variants. Too much risk of squashed body parts :) 

But I found a very strange thing, have no explanation for it. Maybe someone there has an idea. Let me try to explain, as concisely as I can. I have a table (indoor furniture) with metal frame which is plated with a shiny gold finish (no, not the real stuff, as far as I know). The metal bars are 10 mm thick by 50 mm wide. Strange thing is, magnets are attracted to the thin edge of the bar, but have absolutely neutral reaction to the centre of 50 mm flat part. So it seems the flat bar has been made with ferrous edges, and a non-ferrous centre. I do not know why or how. There must be an easier way to make some flat stock for some furniture.

Any ideas? Any other explanation for magnet behavior apart from bi-metal bar? :classic_huh:

Pneumo
Posted (edited)

Wowsa ! Be careful with those, Hang In.

Not sure about your table. I doubt it would be a bi-metal construction, but could be wrong.

Here's an interesting thing to do with one of those 40 x 20mm magnets. Find a piece of copper tube about 1 meter long which you can easily slip one magnet into. Hold it vertically and drop the magnet in. Being non-ferrous, it should fall through, but it doesn't. Copper and magnets make for intriguing experimentation.

ETA. What N rating are they ? I got some 10mm diameter X 10mm long N50 magnets this week. Those pinch quite well, for their size.  :chuckle:

New avatar shows a couple of our magnetic devices.

Edited by Pneumo

jdurand
Posted (edited)

Is the strange table attraction the same along an edge?  I ask because my wife used to work in architectural and ornamental "iron".  Some of the ready made pieces were actually cast aluminum with steel bits cast in for easy welding to the real steel.  Once painted it all looks the same.

Edited by jdurand

Hang In

@Pneumo not sure of N rating of magnets, I used to have a 1kg slab of metal better conductor than copper, wish I still had it to observe interaction with strong magnets. 

@jdurand I think the furniture metal is as you described. I see there is a join that I can disassemble, will open join and look at bare end see if it’s steel rods cast in aluminum. 

Pneumo
1 minute ago, Hang In said:

...... I used to have a 1kg slab of metal better conductor than copper, .......

As in, Ag ?

Hang In

Yes Ag. Wish I still had that slab, would go well with the magnets.

Will have to be content with whatever copper I can find. 

Pneumo

I'm thinking clif's calls on Ag are about to come to fruition. Not only his price calls, but the scarcity and increased number of uses/new technologies.

Sure glad I listened to him all those years back. Oh, not to forget Bix Weir, who along with Turd Ferguson, is one of the people I take note of.

Plenty of discussion in the main forum on silver, cryptos, preparedness, etc. I really do encourage you to join us in there.

Toothdoc

Hi, just arrived.  Trying to learn how to navigate this forum.  I'm interested in consciousness, physics, and the possibility that reality is computational with time being the change in frames from one configuration to the next.  Leaning towards there only being nodes or cells that are connected in an on/off relationship to adjacent cells and that we are a group of these cells, or nodes, that receive information from the off/on connections.  Wolfram is building a similar model, but I don't really know that much about it.  Also, I am aligned with Bernardo Kastrup's views of metaphysics, and believe in Tom Campbell's work.  Would like to integrate all this in one big picture of reality.  Am interested in discussing others' viewpoints.  Been following Clif's ideas for about a decade now.  Would like to contribute in some way to the new sci-fi world. 

Greenmeadow

Welcome @Toothdoc  lots of bright curious minds here. A lot of us have been following clif for about 10 yrs as well. Never a shortage of rabbit trails to follow with that guy!  

Toothdoc

Thanks Greenmeadow.  If Clif is right the next 4 years will be exciting.

tonyk77

Welcome Toothdoc.

Plenty of room in here to explore many threads of reality(s).

Join in with articles, videos and ideas. 

I don't always agree with all that is posted here, but it always gets me thinking. I am here to learn.

Pneumo

Welcome Toothdoc.

Errr....whilst your here, you wouldn't mind looking at this tooth of mine, would you ?

:chuckle:

tonyk77
1 hour ago, Pneumo said:

Welcome Toothdoc.

Errr....whilst your here, you wouldn't mind looking at this tooth of mine, would you ?

:chuckle:

I was thinking about saying that, but I thought it might scare him away.

Watch out for this South African guy. I have said before that he is responsible for keyboards being sprayed with tea, coffee or tequila on many occasions.

jdurand
1 hour ago, tonyk77 said:

Watch out for this South African guy. I have said before that he is responsible for keyboards being sprayed with tea, coffee or tequila on many occasions.

It's his magnetic personality.

jdurand
1 hour ago, jdurand said:

It's his magnetic personality.

Almost forgot, beware of Russians.  

Pneumo
2 hours ago, tonyk77 said:

For the record, I'm actually a Tanganyikan.

:)

Pneumo
2 minutes ago, jdurand said:

Almost forgot, beware of Russians.  

Especially the Russians. 

Bastards !

They interfere with everyone's erections.  :chuckle:

jdurand
1 minute ago, Pneumo said:

Especially the Russians. 

Bastards !

They interfere with everyone's erections.  :chuckle:

They got half of our money and all we got is a stack of bricks.

Ok, it's a very nice stack of bricks with central heating, sauna, 3 phase power, and nice neighbors.  Even has two retired doctors next door for when @Pneumo visits and plays with magnets.  :classic_biggrin:

Hang In
On 8/15/2020 at 1:47 AM, jdurand said:

Is the strange table attraction the same along an edge?  I ask because my wife used to work in architectural and ornamental "iron".  Some of the ready made pieces were actually cast aluminum with steel bits cast in for easy welding to the real steel.  Once painted it all looks the same.

@jdurand, @Pneumo

I finally got around to dismantling the table frame that exhibits mixed attractions to magnets. Was surprised to find that it is made from thin walled hollow rectangular tube. Short edge definitely attracts magnets, long edge (viewed end-on) definitely no attraction. Very odd. Very thin walled, if it was all aluminum, I think it would not be much stronger than an empty drink can. 

Foxx granted me access to the private side (thanks!), but I could not work out where to post this. Also cannot find Bosco-anything group. 

Broke another magnet 🧲, finally understanding something more about complexity of fields interaction when you put a few magnets together. 

Regards guys, I’m off to Pattaya for weekend. 

DDMc

For Bosco stuff, look under Clif Notes section for Boscovich, Clif's EM investigations 

I've been trying to collect info/breadcrumbs there, including Clif tweets & vids. 

Hang In
12 hours ago, DDMc said:

For Bosco stuff, look under Clif Notes section for Boscovich, Clif's EM investigations 

I've been trying to collect info/breadcrumbs there, including Clif tweets & vids. 

Thanks DDMc

McDavid

Hello, I am glad I found this forum. I seek insight into webbot reports as they relate to the near and mid term future.

jdurand
51 minutes ago, McDavid said:

Hello, I am glad I found this forum. I seek insight into webbot reports as they relate to the near and mid term future.

Welcome!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use