Neo

Introductions: Introduce yourself here

tonyk77

Welcome Stephen,

This group is a real mix of many people with many different opinions. We don't agree on many issues, but the discussion always gets me thinking.

Watch out for the South African guy. His sense of humor might cause you to spray your keyboard with your tea, coffee or tequila on occasions. 

jdurand
7 hours ago, Pneumo said:

and one incredibly handsome, smart bloke on the southern tip of Africa. :)

@Pneumo  I didn't know there was another guy from the forum living down there, I thought you were the only one.

While not much to look at @Pneumo has a magnetic personality.

Hey Mr P, did you need me to supply magnets or do you have some? 

Pneumo
23 minutes ago, jdurand said:

@Pneumo  I didn't know there was another guy from the forum living down there, I thought you were the only one.

While not much to look at @Pneumo has a magnetic personality.

Hey Mr P, did you need me to supply magnets or do you have some? 

10 hours ago, Stephen Winterburn said:

No, jd. I don't have any. You've still got stock, right ?

jdurand
1 minute ago, Pneumo said:

No, jd. I don't have any. You've still got stock, right ?

Yes, a small pile, enough for this batch.  I can tell where the box is by space warping around the field.  I must remember to take off my stainless wedding ring before reaching for the box or I get in a sticky situation.

Dielectric

Greetings old time webbot fans. I wanted to come back to see what's survived and whose left standing. Long time ago I used to follow Clif and get his reports. I see a lot of the old linguistics in action.

Got to feel my way around a bit and hope to see the inside discussions after a brief time. Hopefully there's more than a handful of you left.

Pneumo
2 hours ago, Dielectric said:

Greetings old time webbot fans. I wanted to come back to see what's survived and whose left standing. Long time ago I used to follow Clif and get his reports. I see a lot of the old linguistics in action.

Got to feel my way around a bit and hope to see the inside discussions after a brief time. Hopefully there's more than a handful of you left.

Hello Dielectric. Good to see you here on the public side. My old grey cells recall not your membership, but that's an age thing. :)

DaddyBob

I can recall the e-handle but that's about all. Get 'em to let you in the private side. There's considerable more going on ever since the Wu-flu hit. Clif got the timing wrong for TEOTWAWKI but my own pet theory is that Universe provided a stumbling block in the form of The Blue Chicken Cult, because Clif was getting too much right, as is being seen now.

Then Clif became Chicken Little himself over the Wu-flu, going nuts for wearing masks IMHO.

But one thing it ain't is boring. 

tonyk77

Welcome back. 

Lots of discussion on many topics.

Guest shirley
On 8/21/2015 at 6:43 AM, Neo said:

This thread is for new members to introduce themselves, tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, your knowledge of the web bots, ect. Whatever you would like to say, we would like to hear from you.

Hi my name is Steve. Been following you religiously for years.  Been such a fan that I've kept the majority of your Alta reports. Currently I am rereading "This Changing World: Temporal Markers for 2013". I  have on my desk currently Collected Curious Crypto - Paruski, Hunting Trains , Sparks, Soaring Twenties, Jump Out, Intrepido and Crypto Storm. Thank you for sharing ideas for all these years.

Pneumo

Hi Steve. Welcome to the WBF.

We're a group of diverse folk from around the world, in all walks of life, who discuss clif's work.

If you would like to join in on the far bigger private side, just ask and one of the Admins will make it happen.

We look forward to seeing you more.

Pneumo

tonyk77

Welcome,

This is a group that covers many subjects, with lots of opinion and ideas.

Pneumo

Just a quick post to say that I'm looking forward to seeing my friend DK hereabouts in the near future.

If I'm not around when he pops in, please make sure that you abuse him in a truly spectacular way.  :chuckle:

Bloody S'Africans...

Hang In

Hi my name is Ian, I am new to this forum but not new to Clif's ALTA reports, interesting and valuable stuff.

Is there an area here about magnets, Roger Boscovich? If so, can someone, anyone please point me in the right direction to get there? I have ordered some neodymium magnets (hope they don't get caught up in the postal handling equipment - that happened to me once) and I am about to start my quest to find PDF's containing writings of Boscovich.

On subject of the covid, I'm in a pretty bad demographic - male, over 60, type 2 diabetic. Trying to improve my odds by supplementing with vitamins C and D, chaga mushroom, advising friends and family to do the same. Gotta keep it at bay while I work out how to make an engine for flying RV's.

jdurand

@Pneumo magnets mentioned!

Also, I made up a big pile of custom machined brackets for one of Clif's experiments.  Haven't seen any mention of him building it yet.

Pneumo
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hang In said:

Hi my name is Ian, I am new to this forum but not new to Clif's ALTA reports, interesting and valuable stuff.

Is there an area here about magnets, Roger Boscovich? If so, can someone, anyone please point me in the right direction to get there? I have ordered some neodymium magnets (hope they don't get caught up in the postal handling equipment - that happened to me once) and I am about to start my quest to find PDF's containing writings of Boscovich.

On subject of the covid, I'm in a pretty bad demographic - male, over 60, type 2 diabetic. Trying to improve my odds by supplementing with vitamins C and D, chaga mushroom, advising friends and family to do the same. Gotta keep it at bay while I work out how to make an engine for flying RV's.

Hi Ian.

Welcome to the WBF.

Actually, none of us are actually playing with clif's Boscovitch ideas. Following, yes. Reproducing ? No.

I'm going in my own direction, though clif and I have been discussing magnetic field for some five years now. A different, current application.

Some couple of years behind you in age, thankfully 100% healthy, but hope you might sign up for a bit of discussion.

Folks hereabouts are interesting.

Cheers.

Pneumo.

Edited by Pneumo

Hang In

Thanks for the welcome. I got some magnets, 15mm diameter by 15mm long cylindrical shape, quite strong. Was playing around with configurations and thought "I must be able to squeeze one more in there, it should be stable..." And I was right. I could, and it seemed stable. But then I was fiddling with the combination, suddenly the magnets snapped back to their preferred arrangement, and one magnet shattered, so now I have one less workable magnet. Two observations from this - 1, Clif is right, they're dangerous things to handle, and 2, I see rather oddly that when you break a magnet, the parts do not want to go back together, they repel each other.

Scary thing is, I have some 40mm by 20mm cylindrical magnets on order. Imagine the trouble I can get into with them!

Stay safe,

Ian

jdurand

It's an interesting thing to get a whole box of strong magnets like @Pneumo and I have done for his devices.  At least they store them stacked to they attract each other.  Reduces the outside field so it doesn't stick to the inside of the delivery truck and also means they won't try to explode back to their preferred condition.

Watch out for stainless steel wedding bands, they're attracted to magnets.  If I hold a magnet in my palm I can click my ring to my wife's and she's captured.  :)

Pneumo
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Hang In said:

Thanks for the welcome. I got some magnets, 15mm diameter by 15mm long cylindrical shape, quite strong. Was playing around with configurations and thought "I must be able to squeeze one more in there, it should be stable..." And I was right. I could, and it seemed stable. But then I was fiddling with the combination, suddenly the magnets snapped back to their preferred arrangement, and one magnet shattered, so now I have one less workable magnet. Two observations from this - 1, Clif is right, they're dangerous things to handle, and 2, I see rather oddly that when you break a magnet, the parts do not want to go back together, they repel each other.

Scary thing is, I have some 40mm by 20mm cylindrical magnets on order. Imagine the trouble I can get into with them!

Stay safe,

Ian

Picked up a whole bunch of different size magnets in town yesterday. Magnet crew are ready for a revolution. Every day, I agitate, Viva la revolucion ! 160 units. I am a wealthy magnet Zulu. Not cows, magnets.

Tried to make a Halbech array in the shop, but didn't work.

We are the Boscovitch Social Club.

Edited by Pneumo

Pneumo
32 minutes ago, Hang In said:

1, Clif is right, they're dangerous things to handle, and 2, I see rather oddly that when you break a magnet, the parts do not want to go back together, they repel each other.

Stay safe,

Ian

And when you break them, you can pretty much throw them away.

jdurand
12 minutes ago, Pneumo said:

And when you break them, you can pretty much throw them away.

into a PLASTIC trash can.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use